1. If I know I am going to be where there will be flowers, perfumes, etc., I take an allergy pill 30 minutes beforehand. I also have told all my friends so when we get together they do not wear perfume, scented hair spray, or shower gels.
2. I avoid as much as possible any toxic smells. I bypass all stores that sell weed killers, etc.—also candle shops or aisles in the store that sells those products.
3. I stayed with a friend for a few days when our home was painted--and for three days afterward.
4. I always get “no smoking” rooms and bring my own pillows. If I am flying and have limited packing space, I bring my own pillowcases (printed with bright floral patterns so they don't take them when changing the bed).
5. I use unscented detergents, fabric softener, shampoo, soap, etc.
6. I always wash brand new clothes before wearing them. If I get something dry-cleaned, I hang it outside for a day or so.
7. If I hear gardeners anywhere near my house, I close up and turn on the air conditioning.
8. I frequently change air filters, and have the ducts cleaned. I am not in the house when those things are done. (My hubby even empties the lint filter on dryer.)
9. I am prone to migraines from sounds and flashing light. I do not go to movies or theaters. I wear dark sun glasses and good hunting ear plugs, and always have both in my purse. I wear an eye mask at night. I also wear large hats that cover a large part of my face.
10. If there is something on TV I really feel I must watch, I tape the show and use a lot of fast forward, therefore decreasing the amount of exposure.
11. Plan ahead. It helps!
This article was originally published in FMOnline. This free online newsletter is only available to registered members.
Click here to register! View other articles in Vol. 8, No. 6 newsletter:
In the Spotlight
Taking Control of MCS
Multiple Chemical Sensitivities
Amputated Lives: Coping with Chemical Sensitivity
Top Tips for Dealing with Multiple Sensitivities
MCS-Friendly Product Ideas
Management Tips for People with Chemical Sensitivities
Book Review: The Lonely Patient
In the News
California Assembly Passes Resolution for the First-Ever Fibromyalgia Task Force
Veterans Pain Care Act of 2008
Canadian FM Attitudes
The State of Women’s Health Research
Author Seeks Interview Subjects
Looking for Faces of FAME
World Focus on FM
NFA Exhibits at EULAR
Jazzed After A Day of Volunteering
Artículos en Español
Vivir con Sensibilidad Química Múltiple
Sensibilidad Química Múltiple